05 June 2009

I can't be the only one...

...who is notorious for assuming something will be a simple afternoon project.

So, Josiah is having a party tomorrow. He's turning three, which is super awesome. We all know how I feel about children's birthday parties, so if COURSE I had to dive in and participate in the preparations! This week is Fondant Lego Week. I think it'll go down in history as "The Time I Tried To Help." (Well, one of the many times I tried to help)

Things always look easier on other people's blogs. My only real goal in life is to look effortless, and somehow I always end up looking disheveled, overwhelmed and humbled. I think this is why Andrew married me. He's one of those effortless people who always stumbles into success. I, on the other hand, am one of those people who throws herself headlong into what would be a good opportunity for anyone else. I really should stick to growing people. I do that well.

You know something is probably a bad idea when you furrow your brow and say out loud, "This would be easier with a cocktail."

  • The fact that I have an aversion to right angles? No problem.
  • The fact that I've never touched fondant in my life? A minor detail.
  • The fact that I'm getting low on cocktail supplies? A small hurdle.
  • The fact that we're driving out of Frostburg bright and early in the morning with a scant 5 Legos built thus far? A mere stumbling block.
I'm going to be up all night. I like to think I'm one of those people who works well under a deadline, but the truth is, I'm just one of those people who likes to think she works well under a deadline. I'm sure they'll be cute in more of a whimsical sort of way and less of a right angle sort of way. I'm having a blast trying to figure this fondant thing out, but I think Lisa's going to have to just put on a big smile and pat my head when I shove my Lego tray into her waiting arms. Whimsical, people. Whimsical.

Let this be a lesson to you. Never let me say "It'll be a great way for me to learn!" if you want a decent outcome. At least three-year-olds don't know what right angles are!

I'm totally going to post pictures later. You've been warned!

3 comments:

Katie E. said...

I don't think you appear to be disheveled, overwhelmed and humbled... I'd say you're more of an ambitious, spirited, and adventurous type of gal. Keep experimenting!

Jennifer Merkel said...

Well, I LOVE your Legos! The ones I saw came out so cute!
I want you build Paul a Lego cake castle for next year :)

Lisa Marie said...

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!??! THOSE WERE THE MOST PERFECT AND CUTEST LEGOS I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!! :) Yours were better than any blog.. you're trying to fool the public!! ;o) Although I did doubt your sanity when you jumped in to help. LOL I thought, "Andrew's going to say... you are doing whhhhaatt??" and then I consoled myself with, "Well, Laura loves to do this stuff" ha ha ha. They were THE HIT of the party- THANK YOU for making yourself crazy on our behalf! :)