02 January 2010

Crying It Out. Or Not.

I have a lot of empty wall space. We have more wall space than we did at this time last year, and I have about the same amount of home decor. You do the math. I also have more...house. So the first half of this year is dedicated to making this place looks a little more lived in! I've been scouring clearance racks and thrift shops, but have lots more work to do!
Today I found a lime green chair for $18. I'm pretty sure it will be mine first thing tomorrow. It's just too awesome to leave for some uncaring soul. I love green, and I love cast-off furniture. A match made in heaven, y'all!
I'm also refinishing a dresser. It'll be painted turquoise and bedecked with sparkly drawer pulls for the guest room. I might recruit Suz to help with the sanding. And painting. And moving. And sparkling.
I still need:

A daybed or pullout for the office. Maybe one of those oversized chairs that pulls out into a twin? Something that matches the rest of the house so that we can out it elsewhere later, if need be.

A bedroom set for our guest room. The air mattress really just isn't cutting it.

Massive toy storage for the formal living room. Low on my list.

Patio furniture. What I really want is a metal set that I can really go to town on. I want to do cushions and paint it a cute color. Something the shade of a margarita.

Help for my stinking tv/entertainment area.


As you can see, is a puzzlement! I need something entertainment centery, that has lots of storage, can hide cords and looks pulled together. I was thinking of a third bookcase with some sort of greenery on the top shelves, but I don't want it to look half-done or cheap. And I don't want to spend a ton, either, because I AM cheap.

On a very happy note, check out these awesome sconces I found at Kohl's for $4 apiece! I think I love after-Christmas sales more and more every year. The candles are molded and painted to look like birch and they look so cool! $3!!



You can see how they look with the room- snazzy, to be sure. What's suuuuuuper cool is that the little ball hanging from the light is a ball of birch shavings all curled into a ball. It looks like I planned it that way!



On an even more joyful note, Molly's night-weaning was awesome last night, and she managed to sleep til 8am after a night of cold turkey weaning and two little wakeups. I had to show her where her water cup was both times, but she went right back to sleep. Just now as I was typing, she woke up and put herself back to sleep by herself for the FIRST TIME EVER!!! And she's doing all of this while settling in to sharing a room with her big sister! Amazing kid, that Molly.


- Laura & Andrew

1 comment:

Suzzy said...

I would be happy to strip, sand, paint, and sparkle things for you. as you remember from your first pregnancy, I am an expert painter. Also, I am a fabulous sparkler and can fulfill all of your sparkling needs. p.s. TWO DAYS! GAHHHH!