17 January 2010

The Making of a Peaceful Person.


We rearranged! It had to be done. We love to Skype with our friends and family, but our office was too small for everyone to hang out at night. So we needed a more Skype-friendly arrangement. Not to mention, our living room needed more furniture in it.

While Suz was here, we took a little trip to Kohl's. You all know my obsession with bargain-hunting, and a true hunter never takes a week off. So Suz came with me to cruise the clearance racks. Kohl's is absolutely the best place for cheap, high-quality home decor. I love their stuff and it ALWAYS goes on clearance. Diligence and patience, my friends.

On clearance last week were 3 awesome gallery frames for just $4 apiece! Say wha?! You KNOW I was on it. And then I had this vision of beautiful prints in them, something stunning and eye-catching. And who takes stunning and eye-catching photos? Well, I do, silly! So I browsed back through and found three gorgeous photos from Grandma and Grandpa's farm. These three prints are just so beautiful and full of memories for me, and the colors are just amazing.

This boat wasn't always totally overgrown, but it's always been in the front yard. Nina and I (and our band of merry Woodchucks) spent hours at a time in this boat, yelling and pretending and fencing with sticks. This boat takes me back to simple times when colors were always this vibrant.

This is the fruit room and smoke oven that sit behind the house. The fruit room is terribly old and it smells like dirt and canned food. Throwing your shoulder into the door and hearing it scrub against the floor just makes you itch for fresh strawberry jam and smoked lamb.

This sign on the barn has been there since the barn was built. As tiny children, Grandpa created The Woodchuck Rangers of Coville Creek, a club created for silliness on the farm. Open exclusively to fun-loving granddaughters and their friends, the Woodchucks spent year after year walking the farm, playing in the barn and enjoying the fires Grandpa built year-round. This sign is a reminder to me that you CAN always go back to what's really important.

These pictures weren't taken by a professional, but they're proof that when you shoot with love and passion, it always shows in the finished product.

2 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Those picture are perfect! Some of my favorites as well!

Just Mairs said...

lovely Laura! Great idea to post your family treasures as your decor!