16 January 2010

Holy. Cow. Game Night + Taco Casserole = Love


So I was on the elliptical creating recipes. I do that. I exercise and write recipes, and then I head to the grocery store and spend the rest of the day perfecting. It's a problem. And I can't figure out why my waistline isn't shrinking...hm.

Y'all, this one's a doozy. Get ready to hit print and run to the store.

Taco Love Casserole (Cuz if you love tacos, this is IT.)

4-6 Chicken Breasts, baked at about 375 for 30 min or so. You know, just bake your stinkin' chicken. I usually put them in a couple of inches of chicken broth to keep them perfectly moist. (I hate that word. Moist. Ew.)

Boil a pound of penne. I find it's the best for casseroles because even if you overcook it a tad, it'll still hold up great.

In a HUGE bowl, mix together the following:

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 small can green chiles, undrained
1 8oz container sour cream
1/2 can chicken broth - whatever it takes to get it "saucy" after you mix the soups and S.C.
1 1/2 packets taco seasoning
t

Drain the pasta, saving out about 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Dice up chicken into "casserole friendly chunks."
Mix everything (pasta+chicken+soup mixture) together and divide mixture among 2 9x13 pans. Yeah, it makes that much.


Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top and stick it in the over til it's bubbly and perfect, maybe 30 min at 375 or so? I really don't know. It's still cooking. But Andrew and I sampled it and it was "I forgot how to talk" good. Baking it with cheese on top will only make it more perfect. Anything is better baked with cheese on top, right?


This should gain you a healthy amount of respect among your football friends' wives. And really, that's what matters in the world of one-ups-manship, right?

This should also freeze perfectly and would be awesome in single-serving Gladware if your hubby is a "hot meals for lunch but too cheap and busy to buy his own food" guy like mine.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what would be good on top?....frito scoops, chopped olives, and/or sour cream!

I've made something similar. It is fun huh?

Do you like Rotel? That would kick it up a notch.

I think you look beautiful!

Tammy

Katie E. said...

EVERYTHING is better with cheese baked on top. I'll be sure to add this to my list of foods to freeze before Baby makes his appearance. :) Love ya, sugar!

Kelsey said...

DUDE, you could TOTALLY crush some tortilla chips on top for the last 5-10 minutes of baking and get that toasted bread crumby layer going on, too. Crunch!