19 January 2010

Help!

I suppose this is as good a place as any other to ask a question to my readers. I know I have a lot of breastfeeders (and former BFers) who read, and I'm kind of at a fork in the road with Molly.

She'll be 11 months next week, and still loves to nurse, but we really just kind of forget about it during the day. She's already night-weaned, so I usually nurse her 3 or 4 times during the day. She's drinking milk and eating everything we eat, so I really haven't thought much about it. It seems like she's starting to just get "too busy" to nurse during the day. Either we're running around and I get to 5pm and realize she hasn't nursed, or she gets ridiculously crabby and then I realize she's probably just wanting a snuggle and a snack.
Is this weaning, or are we just moving into a different pattern? Will my supply be okay if we completely forget a day here or there? It seems like this week she's averaging closer to 2 times a day, and I think yesterday it was only once. Lucy was off breastmilk and formula at 10.5 months, just because she hated nursing by 7 months and was more interested "grown up milk" by 10.
My supply has been completely even and perfectly adjusted since about 12 weeks, but Molly has seemed totally happy. Because my body is so quick to adjust my supply, it's been really easy to forget to nurse because my body just slows down completely.
Should I bump up the nursing sessions and set my phone to remind me to nurse more often, or just let this take it's natural course? I'd like to go to 18 months, but if Molly is ready to stop or is losing interest, I guess that's fine too.

I guess I'm just not sure what direction to take this in. Help!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me it sounds like since she is eating what everyone else is eating and she isn't seeming like she needs to nurse, she doesn't. She may be getting what satisfies her from what she is eating other than nursing.

Hope you figure it out...too bad babies don't come with manuals.

Tammy

Andrew & Laura said...

I sure wish Molly came with a manual...she's such a little mystery!

Lisa Marie said...

I think that's up to you... personally I've never gotten to that long and had a baby who was eating and drinking MILK and still nursing, mostly for the comfort and the (awesome!) benefits it provides. I think if you are ready to wean and she is ready, you could let it happen... or if you want to nurse longer than try to remember to do it a few times a day so that it's more a part of both of your routines. If she gets crabby and nursing helps her, I'd stick to it for that, if nothing else. The very LAST time Josiah nursed it was for that same reason... we couldn't figure out what was bothering him, and he had been refusing to nurse, it'd been probably 3 days since he had last nursed, and I thought I had no milk, but then he latched on and sure enough calmed down and went to sleep. May have been because we were out of town with family that he was so irritable, who knows. I commend you for getting this far, I think if you can nurse til 12 months and then let her wean off as she pleases it'd probably be great for both of you. Anyway hope it all works out! good luck!

MDmamaof3 said...

Eli is alot like Molly (especially eating). I would say to let nature take its course. While he still nurses at least 3x a day, my supply has adjusted well. There may be days when you feel a little bit swollen (at least I did), but as long as you nurse your supply will last. Don't worry about it, it sounds like self-weaning.

Tish Cooper

Kelsey said...

I ask myself many of the same questions regarding my son, Drew. He is almost 10 months old, and he doesn't really seem to like nursing. He seems to prefer the bottle, possibly because he can hold it and be in charge. He's got a strong streak of independence! However, I am quick to point out that "what he wants" isn't my only reason for continuing to breastfeed. I'm also interested in whatever immunities he gets from the breastmilk, DHA that he gets through my fish oil supplements, etc. This isn't an answer... just more rambling since it seems like the ONLY way to make this decision is to talk it through. Good luck with your decision!