19 January 2010

What a Newsy Day!

Well, I'm just been cleaning my little heart out around here, preparing for a day out tomorrow. I think the girls and I may spend a lazy afternoon at the Science Museum, if everyone naps well.

I'm on pins and needles today, waiting to see who will take Ted Kennedy's senate seat. Sam Brown winning the seat would be the biggest political upset I'll probably ever see, and it's crucial that he take the seat if we hope to keep government dollars away from funding the biggest genocide the world has ever seen.

Mom posted a beautiful post yesterday, in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King day. Dr. King was not just a champion for human rights, but a champion human. I really couldn't say it better myself. I find it ironic that we celebrate his life every year during a week when we memorialize 50 million lives taken since the passing of Roe v Wade. I know that Dr. King would feel so much pain today, living in a country that robs so many people of the potential to live. (And no, it's not a soapbox when you're speaking for something as simple as the right to life.) This week is the 37th anniversary of Roe v Wade. If you're a praying person, please pray for the safety and prayers of those who will be marching on Washington and every state capitol and large city in the U.S. Were he still alive today, Dr. King would be praying with you and marching out in front.

I've been thinking more about blogging professionally, and I think I've decided against it. It takes time and effort that I'm not willing to take away from my family and give to my blog. Just reformatting here and there takes SO much time, if not hours out of my days, nights and weekends. I adore reading really, really great blogs, but when I read these "mommy blogs," I have to wonder...what are their children doing while they're blogging, editing, photographing, tweeting and hosting contests? I spent a night blogging about three days ago and 5 posts took an entire evening. And people, I'm a FAST blogger these days. But my husband was in the other room, playing video games, when we should have been snuggled up together watching TV or chatting about our day. I only blog while everyone else is sleeping, leaving me with so little time to do anything else. Don't get me wrong; I love my blog, but I signed up to take care of my family first. A certain blogger I read is on a cruise right now sans children, blogging several times a day, and she'll be tweeting just as soon as that tower comes into range. If I were on a cruise with my husband without my kids, we'd be holed up in our cabin with the phones off, if we took them at all. We'd be drinking ourself silly on the lido deck, ipods off, conversation and giggles on. We'd leave the camera in our suitcase, knowing that we wouldn't forget a second anyway.
I don't want my girls to look back on their childhoods and thinking of my back as I sat on the computer, blogging away. I want them to remember the fun of cranking the heating pad up and snuggling in to watch cartoons with mommy. I want them to remember "seek an hide" lasting all day long. I want them to remember 10 am baths, just because the tub is a fine place to be. And they'll remember all of those things without a blog post to remind them, won't they? The attention I give them now will shine in the people they become...because they know just how valued they are all day long, every single day.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I have to say that I love reading your blog, and from what you write I can say with confidence that you are an EXCELLENT mommy with an amazing family. At the same time, reading this post made me feel judged by you regarding how I spend my time. I'm no dummy--this is may be (in part) a reflection of insecurity on my part. But at the same time I know that spending time on hobbies (whether those are blogging or running or whatever) makes me a better mom and wife in some ways. I'm not leaving this comment to start a debate or anything--just sharing my thoughts!