21 January 2010

Sleepless in Fort Worth

I have to say, Molly is ten times the sleeper Lucy ever was. I'm loving her times twenty now that she's into a good groove where sleeping is concerned. Sleep training was about a 20 minute process, she puts herself back to sleep when she wakes up, she wakes up happy and she naps like the day is long. As I type this, it's 1:10 pm. I put her down after about 9:45am. True story. Lucy and I are anxiously waiting to get out of the house, but I never, never, never wake a sleeping baby.
Molly usually goes down around 6:45 or 7pm and sleeps til about 7am or so, waking a few times to talk and once around 5am to nurse.
She and Lucy are now sharing a room, which has been 100% seamless in transition. We figured we'd just do it and see what happens, and it turns out they sleep so much better when they're together.
Lucy, however...just doesn't sleep. She goes down around 7:30 or 8 and comes to bed with us around 3 or 4, where she sleeps in her "special bed" on the floor until about 6. We have NEVER seen her sleep through the night without waking up at least twice, and we usually have to work to convince her that 4 am is not the right time to start the day. It's exhausting. Lucy is just one big sleep problem. She'll still do a good, long afternoon nap without a fuss, but she only naps on the couch, where she can keep her nose in my business. She's just so much like I was at this age. Napping is fine, as long as she's in the mix and not missing anything. She's an early riser and I truly think it's because she doesn't want to risk missing out on anything. I say this because she's also terribly indecisive, more than your average toddler. She's not stubborn about anything and we can usually talk her into just about anything. She's willing to try everything, and not trying things is usually what gets her worked up. She just can't handle the possibility that things happen and she's not supervising. sampling and directing.
Molly is totally the opposite, just like her daddy. Life happens and what she does or does not do has nothing to do with her happiness or potential satisfaction. If she happens to see the other end of the day, the day was an utter success. If not, ah, well, what's done is done. Molly is still a persistent little monkey, and her destruction and terror are so matter of fact that I've realized she may always get the best of me. She listens to "no" very well and is easy to redirect, but she always keeps her mission in the back of her mind and will return to it once she's satisfied the disciplinarian in me. She's such an imp; I know she'll skate through with her charm and indifference. If only we could all be as content and cheery as Poppers.
We're headed out for tartar sauce and a frame. My darling Secret Santa, my father-in-law gifted me with a fabulous Keep Calm print for Christmas. So we're going to hit up Michael's to see if we can find a frame with matching fabulosity. So, so, awesome!!

No comments: