31 January 2010

Sunday Satisfaction!

Since moving to Texas, I'm a happy gal. I'm peaceful, content and generally satisfied. I have everything I need and am really enjoying this sweet phase of our lives.

I have a few theories on just why things are going to smoothly.

  • I hate snow. With a passion. Texas doesn't get snow and as a result, I'm just so, so, so happy. I love the warm afternoons every few days and I'm just feeling so fresh and light. Don't get me wrong, we're having a cold week. But I have the joy of knowing that it'll be warm again within a few days and we've given our snow shovel the year off. That's just wonderful.
  • I'm in a new house. When I say new, I mean new. It's clean, well-lit and not in need of any improvements. I always thought I was more of a fixer-upper and an improver. I've discovered that I am truly NOT a fixer-upper. I'm just really enjoying not staring at things that need to be painted, repaired, improved or otherwise changed. I spend more time watching the girls, rather than making lists of improvements and crunching numbers.
    I realize that people live in fixer-uppers and love it. We thought we were big project people and decided to use our fun money to work on a house instead of play. We also just didn't have the money to live somewhere new. I doubt we'd have the money for a new house anywhere but here. But next time we look for a place to live, I know what to consider.
    I'll get all the painting out of the way at once. I'll insist on natural lighting. I won't wait on fencing the yard. I'll make sure the room we spend the most time in is EXACTLY the way I want it. I'll hold out for an affordable place with a garage. I'll try really hard to find a home with an open floor plan. I will NEVER again skimp on safety. My home is kind of like my office, and I spend a lot of time staring at these walls! If the kitchen needs repairs, that'll be the first to be worked on. I had no idea how much my surroundings stressed me out until I lived in a place where there was no stress. I think that next time we shop around, I'll really try to keep this in mind. I think I'd actually rather forgo other extras in order to really create a home that makes us feel peaceful and stress-free. I truly feel like a new me in this house. I don't feel the need to get out during the day, and I think it's because there's nothing to escape. I feel like this house really was Heaven-sent. God knew I'd be without so many of the comforts a stay-at-home mom needs, like a big support system and a way to escape once in awhile. So he gave us this. A wonderful, affordable sanctuary where the girls can actually run and play inside, and I can still claim a piece of my home just for me. I have a home that has a place for everything, and the crazy organizer in me feels so free and "together." Andrew has a place to put his bike AND a yard to nap in. It's just what we needed, right when we needed it. So what do I hate about this house? I mean, come on. Every house has something. The fridge. The fridge is actually about half the size of a normal fridge. It's bizarre. The kitchen is so big, with a junior-sized fridge. Who does that??
    The neighborhood also leaves something to be desired. I mean, I think it's perfectly safe and I love our neighbor, but the KIDS. The Fort Worth suburbs are just replete with school-aged children. Driving through the neighborhood is a little like an obstacle course, and the playground is covered in 7th-grader graffiti. Ew. But other than that, it's a nice place to live.
  • What else makes me happy? These girls! I mean, sure, we do have a 2.5 year old who challenges me on a daily basis. But for the most part, she's just so cheery and easy to love. She says the funniest things and is just so into making me smile. I love it. And Molly never stays out of trouble. She's just a delicious little animal and I can't get enough of her craziness.
  • Andrew is such a peaceful, easy guy. He's terribly ill today, but he just goes out of his way to make our lives happy, calm and healthy. I love that about him. Always diplomatic and kind, never starts anything he doesn't intend to finish. He leads by example and I love that. He's going to be joining a Theology of The Body men's group when it starts the first of March, and I can't wait to really start studying TOB with him. Raising daughters (and sons!) makes it so necessary to know ourselves, our purpose and our values. These girls just begin and end with their Daddy's love and it's so important to us that he reinforce their self-esteem and personal needs by showing them how a real man should revere and respect the gentler sex. TOB is a huge step in the right direction where respect for each other is concerned, and I know it'll reflect that in our girls. Can't wait!
Well, I need to run and check on my brood. Andrew is sure to need more medicine and love by now, and I can hear Molly creeping around, looking for someone to injure. Have a fabulous day!

No comments: