02 December 2008

Adopting an Open Mind

As we approach the holidays, I find myself dreaming about a house full of kids someday. I think every parent or parent-to-be does the same on these long winter days.
Andrew and I have talked many times about adoption. I know that it's something we'd like to do, but it's hard to imagine when we could do it. We're still so young, but there are so many children we could help. Lots of questions fill my mind when I consider this, but I feel like it's really something we're called to do. Why on EARTH would God lead us to this very large house in a very safe community if we weren't called to do something with it? No brainer.
However, I'm only 25 and most of the children out there who need homes are adolescents. Of course I'd love to give them a home and a family. It breaks my heart to think of any child without parents to love and guide them. When I look at Lucy, I often think, "What would she be without us?" I can't imagine how lost she'd feel without her mama to pull her out of bed with a smile every morning and her daddy to kiss her into bed at night. It hurts my heart to fall asleep at night knowing that there are children in this world hoping for homes while my friends and neighbors have empty bedrooms and a plan for 2.5 children.
Of course we don't have the money to adopt a houseful of children. But doesn't that sort of thing come to you when you're truly called to do it? I don't worry about that. When I imagine our family in 20 years, I don't see a line of redheads or a gaggle of girls. I see children of all ages, all races, all cultures and all circumstances. I don't know how they'll get to us, but I know we're meant for much, much more than our family of four.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, this is Auntie Tawny. I am glad I have the opportunity to read your blog and see Lucy. I love to hear about your life..I can tell you love being a mama. I just want you to know that if you truly want to adopt that you can. All the states have adoption help once you have decided to adopt. Especially if you adopt a special needs child. You are given an amount each month for an adoption subsidy. And, medical expenses and therapy are also covered. I don't know if you knew that I went thru the foster/adoption process and got licensed to adopt.....long story. But, my only advise would be to adopt a very young child or an infant as you have the opportunity to make the most difference. Once they are around five years old they pretty much have been in the system and what they have been thru is more than you or I can not even imagine....so, the chance to "make a difference" is almost non-existent. They are set in their ways and how they relate to people, etc. I have been thru this. But, I do want to say that there are children/infants who, if you get the opportuntity, you can give them a wonderful life. Each state has "help" financially for adoption/medical expenses. I was so happy to see you and Lucy and hope to be a part of your lives. Love, Auntie Tawny

Lisa Marie said...

Hey!! That's SO COOL that you see your family like this... because we do too!! Michael and I have talked about adoption since before we ever had kids. Granted, we may have a bundle of our own blessings... but we even think it might be great to adopt later in life, when we're settled, some of our own kids are older, etc. Anyway, we also talk about adopting children that would otherwise be seperated, like twins or a brother/sister. I know what you mean... sometimes I just wish we could help them all! Ilove you guys. see you tomorrow