10 December 2008

Where To Next?

Well, Lucy would not nap in her crib yesterday, but she's gone to bed at night without a fuss, so we'll work on the nap thing. HOWEVER, she woke up at 4:40 and really thought it was time to get up for the day. Andrew and I both know that she has no idea what time it is at 4:30 and what she really needs is more sleep. A LOT more sleep.
So I turned off the monitor and went to the couch so Andrew could continue to rest. I went up to Lucy's room and put her back down. She kicked her feet angrily, but did about 20 more minutes. Fabulous. I went up again around 5 and did the same thing. She replied the same way, but I got another 25 minutes out of her. That's a major breakthrough.
At 5:30 she was UP. I thought to myself, "Decent people are sleeping right now, and there is NO way she's going to get her way on this one." I knew that she wanted to come downstairs, get in her chair with her milk and watch cartoons. No way.
So I pulled one of our white chairs from the loft into her room. I knew that if she saw the tv on the other side she'd immediately demand to turn it on. So I sat down with her in the chair and she passed out. I was totally ok with that, but sleeping in those white chairs is NOT cool. She slept until 7:30, which is the latest she's slept in MONTHS. We found Andrew about to leave for work and he said we could move the recliner in to her room tonight in the event that we end up doing this more than once. My ultimate goal is to get her used to what sleeping 12 hours feels like again. Right now she's doing 8 or 9 at a stretch, and she needs so much more! If I can get her used to a longer sleep cycle, hopefully she'll stop waking at 5.
Today we're also going to create a big colorful schedule with pictures of what Lucy should be doing throughout the day. I think she's really craving more structure, what with all the traveling we do and the holidays being here, so we're going to buy a big posterboard and hang it at Lucy-level so that she can see what her day looks like. I think she's old enough to start recognizing activities by seeing pictures, so we're going to try to keep things a little more organized around here.
Today we're going to run to Walmart and buy a "sink" for her kitchen. I also need a faucet. I hope they sell like, $5 faucets. We really don't need anything fancy...we're also going to buy some art supplies for a couple of crafts for Advent. Yesterday we made holiday cards- I'll post pics of them today. They were just too cute!

No comments: