15 December 2008

Clean Floors, Warm Heart

Since Lucy decided not to nap today, we took the opportunity to scrub the floors! We're doing one room at a time, scrubbing, cleaning, dusting, vacuuming til the place sparkles! Lucy loves it because she's never been allowed to play in water anywhere but the bathroom or the kitchen, and I love it because things are getting clean! My back doesn't like it one bit, but things must be clean the week before Jesus arrives! We haven't done the dining room yet. It's going to be one ugly mess in there. I think I'm going to wait until Andrew gets home and can distract Lucy. Not that I don't love a baby who reeks of Murphy's Oil Soap...
The thing about these "amazing hardwood floors with all that potential" is that they require SO much care that I just can't give. I would LOVE Pergo, but it's not going to happen for many, many years. In the meantime, we have the original 1949 hardwood and boy does it require some work. It really should be dry-mopped daily, scrubbed weekly and treated annually but who DOES that?? They're in beautiful shape for being 60 years old. However...every tiny little detail shows. I found a huge dent in the hallway. It looks like someone dropped a grand piano. Someone may have. 60 years will give you lots of chances to have a piano dropped on you, I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get Pergo!!! You can get your hardwood refinished so you can maintain the value of them and clean so much more easily. I've learned all about it on HGTV. I'm completely obsessed. Now if only we could move into the house....

Anonymous said...

Oh, this entry makes me tired just reading it (especially because it is 10:30 p.m.!) What is it about the latter part of pregnancy turning a woman into a real work horse? Cleaning and polishing, etc., etc.
Sounds like such a special time with Lucy, though. We can just picture her down on the floor scrubbing and being such a help to Mom.
Love to you all.
Grandma and Grandpa H.