15 June 2007

Nineteen Minutes

I just finished reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It was a really good book about a boy who was bullied his entire life and eventually opened fire on his high school. It focuses on his family, especially his mother, and his few friends. It was eye-opening and very well-written. So well-written in fact, that I ran to the library and got another book written by her, The Pact. I'm deep into that one now.
The book made me think of a friend I had before I came to Frostburg. I'm not going to name names, because I'm not trying to implicate that he's a school shooter type or anything ridiculous like that. He was a very nice guy, and I have no idea how we even met, looking back on it. He wasn't friends with any of my friends, and he went to public school, so....hm. Anyway, he wasn't part of the popular crowd at school, but he was so smart, and very witty and fun to be with. I'm not sure why he wasn't more popular. He was one of the only guys during that time in my life who didn't try to kiss, date or marry me, and I think that's why we got along so well. He was a self-admitted computer geek, but he never really seemed like it. He would come over to my house and we'd spend hours talking and talking about this and that. He had a very good heart.
I actually saw him last time we were home. He works at a local business, and he helped me with something. At the moment, I recognized him slightly, and I think he recognized me, and we looked at each other for quite awhile, trying to place each other's faces. It was odd. Who he was clicked as I walked out the door, and I'm so glad to see him doing well.
Sometimes it's hard to understand why God brings certain people into your life for such a brief time. I don't have a hard time understanding why we got along so well, but I don't understand why he was sent to me. It's nice to see him still in town and smiling. I don't think a lot of people would have imagined he'd get that far.

Well, Lucy is batting at her little whale toy, but it's not going to last long. I'm going to put her in the bathtub, get her dressed and make a list for the day. We have lots to do before we meet Daddy for lunch! After lunch we're going to run some errands, and then we're going to start our amazingly fun weekend.
I paid the bills at 5am. I love paying the bills. We saved out some money for the weekend fun, and I paid a good amount to our credit card. It's feels so good to have it so low! We have been battling that stupid card since before the wedding, and we're about to pay it off! I'm so excited about joining the ranks of "we don't have credit card debt" people! We've been sacrificing like crazy for almost two years to get it paid off, and you know how it is. Things happen, and you have to use it. Well in about 8 weeks, it'll be totally paid off, AND we'll have a solid savings account. I'm so proud of the sacrifices we've been making for the past year, and I can't wait to celebrate the last payment we make! We're definitely going out to a fancy dinner, and we're NOT using a credit card!

No comments: