08 June 2007

Nursing in Public and Babies at the Movies

Hot Topic!
Ok, so, everyone on The Nest is talking about breastfeeding in public. I am a fan of feeding children, period. When I hear a baby's little "feed me" cry, especially Lucy, I can hear them thinking, "Please Mommy! I'm so hungry!" Lucy thinks she's starving everytime she realizes she's hungry.
Andrew is a big fan of nursing in public. He says that I should feed Lucy in public the same way I feed her at home. Well, I do agree to some extent, but I doubt anyone wants to watch me wrestle a squalling infant until I flop over in a pile of sweaty defeat. I don't think it's a pretty sight. Maybe he means with the same comfort level? (I swear it's becoming more serene...eventually Lucy and I will nurse with such ease that people will mistake us for Renoir's Child at the Breast.) Of course, Andrew has always been a breastfeeding supporter, and is a big part of the reason Lucy is still nursing.
I suppose I should get more comfortable nursing in public. I think it's important for people to see, lest every baby in the world be formula fed. And I think it's a beautiful thing to see, and that people who can't handle it are stupid.
I need to go now. Andrew is coming home early and we're going to walk around the mall this afternoon. Maybe I'll practice nursing in public or something. I think we're going to sneak her in to a movie tonight. This should be interesting. I hope we can make her sleep through the whole thing.

2 comments:

Kandi said...

Good luck with the movies. Hope to hear about what you saw, how it was, and how having Lucy in the theater went.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.