23 April 2007

45 Years!

Well, yesterday was Grandpa and Grandma's 45th wedding anniversary. THAT is amazing. Grandpa and Grandma are still the cutest couple I know. They just adore each other, and their friendship is still very important to them. They just prefer each other's company above anyone else's, and I think that is part of of what makes a marriage last. I have only been married a year, but I've still had plenty of time to be amazed at the way things shift when you go from dating to marriage. People say, "Oh, you need date nights, and you need to keep the passion alive, and you need to make time for each other." Well, I do agree with that, and I always enjoy our romantic dates, but what you really need is a basic like for each other. No one has the money to enjoy a romantic date every weekend, nor do they have the time. On the other hand, you do spend a lot of time maintaining your life. Our weekends are filled with "errands" and things we need to do, and it's still the best part of the week, because we'd much rather run errands together than spend our weekdays apart. I've observed this with Grandma and Grandpa for years. They always make each other laugh, and they have a strong LIKE for each other. I decided when I was about 8 that I wouldn't settle for a mate who wasn't my best friend and strongest advocate. When I met Andrew, we just laughed and laughed, and we fell in love laughing. We settle arguments laughing, we fall asleep laughing, we laugh through death, we laugh at each other, and we laugh at ourselves. Grandpa always gets so much joy out of the silly things Grandma says, and when Andrew gives me the same look I've been seeing all my life, I know that he's laughing because he's happy to be with someone who doesn't censor her random thoughts. There are so many similiarities between my own marriage and that of my grandparents, and I hope that the strongest ends up being the longevity. Congratulations for Grandma Susie and Grandpa Dick! You two are just so cute!

We had a lovely day yesterday. We had a nice time at Mass, and then we went on our little picnic. Oh, I will post pictures in a minute. It was a beautiful day. I got some sun, and we came home and Andrew watched the Godfather and I napped, and we packed some more stuff. I got almost all of Lucy's stuff packed up, except what we will need for the first couple weeks, should we end up staying here longer than we plan. We went to the laundromat around 8, and we stopped at Food Lion on the way to debit some cash for the machines, and I got a word search book. I did a couple last night, but I had to limit myself to about 5, because for some reason I read word searches like John Nash saw codes in "A Beautiful Mind," and all the words just pop up and I finish them ridiculously fast. But I think I'm going to do them while I'm in labor. Making the words pop up all at once takes concentration, so I think it would be another thing I could do through contractions to zone out. I do like word searches.
We washed all of Lucy Goosey's newborn clothes, and boy are they so cute! I'm already upset about her growing up so fast. This is why people keep having snuggly little newborns. I'm just addicted to tiny little people. I can't wait to kiss on her! When they came out of the dryer, it was this massive waterfall of pink. I found a green onesie and almost threw it away, I was so confused. But I love all those little pink onesies. Oh, so cute...
I need to go. I have a billion things to do, and no time to do them. Oh, I'll post pics before I do anything else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

You are so right about being in like with someone as well as in love with someone.

I met your dad and liked him instantly and loved him almost just as instantly..who wouldn't? I tell you he is the one that makes me laugh and our children laugh too, and people that don't really know him might not know how to read him.

Nana and Papa just celebrated their 41st anniversary as well....as their marriage has weathered ups and downs and all the middles, your dads and mine will too...we are on our 12th anniversary this year and we are just as in love as we were on our 1st! I've admired my parents in their commitment to each other and it hasn't been easy but they've been the best parents and grandparents!

Your dad and I bring out the best in each other. We are best friends as well as life long soulmates!

When our babies came along I loved him even more (if that could even be possible). But you just wait until Andrew holds baby Lucy in his big strong arms and your heart will melt with love and affection for the bond that has started your family!

Remember, that was one of the reasons I fell in love with your dad...how great and loving he was with you and Nina when we first met. He is patient and kind and loving beyond any other man I've ever met!

I knew I had a keeper.

I remember washing Meg and Maddy's baby clothes too. That feeling didn't last forever though as there are tons of clothes to wash after a while. And if Lucy should take after her Auntie Meghan, she will love clothes and all the different styles. Oh, and the shoes too. Meghan loves shoes. She can almost fit into my shoes and I've caught her parading around in my shoes.

Your dad and I are always thinking of you and baby Lucy too....please let us know when she makes her grand entrance into this great big wonderful world!

Lotsa of Love and Hugs,
Tammy