13 April 2007

How To Boil Rice

Well, it seems like a lot of young women my age do not know how to make a pot of rice. This is sad. Minute Rice is not where it's at. Who is raising these girls?!
Ok, Grandma Susie and Mama Jen have passed this on to me. Mom swears that Visions pans are the way to go, but I have found that it's pretty hard to screw up a pot of rice, regardless of what you cook it in. HOWEVER, it would seem that the successful rice cooks each have a pan they love. I think it's one of those "I did it right! I'm never giving up this pan!" I will tell you, I have been using the same pan since our wedding day, and I have yet to screw it up with my lucky pan. Grandma uses a stainless sauce pan. Mom uses a Visions sauce pan. I use a combo- a stainless teflon sauce pan with a clear lid.
YOU MUST HAVE A LID.
Moving along:
Here is your recipe:
White, long grain rice. The kind that comes in the big scary bag without directions.
Double the water. So if you use a cup of rice, you use two cups of water. Simple.
A little salt in the water is fab.

Ok, bring your water to a boil. Dump the rice in, and cover it. Turn it down to "2," or your stove's equivalent. That would be a low/medium simmer, I suppose.
Let is go for 25 minutes. That's what I do for a 1 cup recipe. Now, I would say to add about 3 minutes for each half cup of rice you add to that.
DO NOT REMOVE THE LID UNTIL THE TIMER GOES OFF. For the love of Pete, don't remove the lid. Ask Andrew. I'm not a physically abusive spouse. Usually. But once his hand goes for the lid, it's anybody's game. I think you could ask him my biggest rice making rule, and he would say, "Don't take off the lid!" When I make Pilaf, he gets unusually rowdy, and has to work extra hard to keeps his hands away.
On the subject of Pilaf, this is a tricky subject. Yes, it's the best food in the world. We know this. I know it's selfish to keep the recipe a secret, but it's what sets the wives apart from the superwives. So, no, this recipe is not for amateurs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am grateful that you are training me to be a superwife, yodalaura. i love you more than rocketpops on an 85degree july day.

-the suz, superwife in training.