02 April 2007

One more thing...

I love my husband. He just called to check in, and I told him I was going out for a walk- about a mile or so. I'm wearing flip flops so I can't break into a run. He just said, "That sounds very nice. Call me if you change your plans so I know where you are." He doesn't say, "You need to take it easy," or "Are you sure you should be exercising as this point?" He just says, "That sounds nice."
This attitude is imperative if you're married to a pregnant woman. Let me explain. Pregnancy is not an illness. In fact, the most successful labors and fastest recoveries are in cases where the woman stays active and doing her regular thing. Many people are afraid that women are going to go into labor if they continue their regular routine. If your pregnancy is healthy and normal, going into premature labor really isn't a big concern when it comes to light exercise and moderate activity.
The nicest thing about being pregnant is that your body tells you when to sit down, and when to relax. But it encourages you to keep going. I have a lot of energy most days, and I like to do housework, go for walks and keep busy. I really believe that when you treat a pregnant woman like an ivalid, she's going to become one. Andrew will occasionally ask me if I need a rest, but for the most part, he doesn't try to slow me down. He trusts my body as much as I do. He knows that when my body wants a rest, it takes over and I just stop moving. He also doesn't tell me to eat more, which seems to be a trend among people living with pregnant women. It's true that you need more calories, but it's totally false that you need to do this consciously. My body tells me when it's hungry, and I eat more. If I'm not hungry, I'm not about to pack on the extra pounds because I'm "eating for two." The human body is a very amazing thing, if you work with it. Even at 36 weeks, I'm not going to deny my body the motion and vigor it needs to get me through this. It deserves the activity, for putting up with so much right now. When I exercise, I'm more energetic, my blood flows, and my attitude is better. And a good attitude for mommy means a good attitude for baby.
So, I had some applesauce and graham crackers, and I'm going for my walk. I'm hoping to get some sun on these pale shoulders. I'm told it's going to get cold and yucky, so I need to take advantage of today! I'm not sure about this wind, though...maybe I'll drive to the library and return my books, and take my walk from there. That's a fine idea. I wish I knew where my keys were...

No comments: