16 April 2007

Lots to cover.

Me: and a sherpa lining
Suz: ew, lined with sherpas?!?!?!
Suz: like the tiny guides in the himalayas?
Me: yes
Me: word
Me: but not the whole animal
Suz: theyre animals?!?!?!?!
Suz: i thought they were little men
Me: they're freaking llamas
Suz: oh wow...i thought they were those very tan midgety men
Me: alpacas...sherpas...all horse/camel animals
Me: those are peruvians
Suz: haha ohhh
Suz: i have a peruvian friend

See what I live with?

Well, this weekend was mighty fine! Andrew's mama and dad came up, and we all had a delightful time! We went out to lunch at Penny's, and then we saw the house, which should be getting some work done this week, and then we took them to ATK, and we relaxed for a bit, and had a late dinner at SandSpring. It was very nice having them up!
Andrew and I spent yesterday relaxing and enjoying our Sunday afternoon- he worked on homework and I moaned and huffed around cause I felt like poo...the baby dropped another good bit yesterday, so I was in a bit of pain, and then in the evening I started getting some painful contractions, so I laid around for a bit and then Andrew and I took advantage and practiced our relaxing and breathing. Once the contractions finally ended, we used another tactic to practice some contractions. I held an ice cube in my hand to simulate the same kind of obsessive pain that a contraction has, and it worked really well. I am a champ when it comes to ice-cube holding. Andrew is an amazing coach, and by the time we reached a minute and a half, I didn't even realize my hand was burning off. I have a difficult time controlling my thoughts and focusing, as anyone who knows me will agree to- having Andrew behind me guiding my thoughts is really my saving grace. He understands how my mind flies around, and I just can't concentrate on anything.
It was interesting working with him last night- when he wasn't close to me, I was very fidgety and distracted, but once I could feel him next to my ear, I was really able to get down to work and let him push me through it. It got me thinking about our marriage, and about how in the sacrament of Marriage, we're Christ to each other. Andrew really represents Christ to me in our Marriage, in the way he's so steady and patient. He's a very calming influence to me, and I know that Lucy's birth will be amazing with his voice in my ear. He's calm to me like going to Mass is. Last night, I couldn't focus at all, until he was right behind me, just rambling about how my body knows what to do, and how he's so proud of me, and how he can't wait to see Lucy. I don't think I would ever trust this whole process to another person, but he has an amazing command over the way he can guide my thoughts and keep me in a good place, and I know that he's going to be the one to make Lucy's birth amazing. When we started studying Bradley, I was really amazed about the reviews I heard as far as what a married couple can do with it, and how it can be such a positive experience. I don't think I'd recommend it for everyone, and I do think there are couples out there who should just do an epidural. But I'm really excited about using Bradley to really enhance the good qualities of our marriage and play on our strengths. Labor and delivery is going to be a lot of work, but Lucy's life in the womb will end very much the way it began; with a lot of laughter and love. Our marriage and partnership has produced some amazing results since we found out Lucy was on her way, and we're so excited about the last step in making her a part of our family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right Laura!

I had only a shot of demerol to deliver Meghan and had a pretty smooth delivery from start to finish within about 12 hours.

Like you, your dad was my rock! He reminded me to breathe whenever I opened my eyes. He never left my side. He didn't even drink his latte Nana got him since I went into labor on his night shift you know your dad! That is saying alot). After working a 12 hour night shift and getting my excited call that Meghan was coming, he drove from Port Townsend to PA came straight to me and was my strength and comfort.

Granted I frustrated him by wanting to go into the shower. I'd change into a new gown, get settled and then want into the shower again.

He was really all that I needed and I knew that I wanted as little medication as possible for Meghan's benefit as well as mine.

He was the only one in the room through labor and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Your dad truly was amazing! It sounds like Andrew will be just as great too for you!

I remember one of the nurses just saying "float above the pain"...yeah, easy for her to say!!! But, it was true. You kind of give up the pain and do what you have to.

You will do great! Keep us updated.

Love Ya,
Tammy