20 January 2009

Forever.

Lucy is in her chair sleeping, her wispy red hair over her face. She's covered in dry cereal and still looks positively angelic.
It's been a rough morning, getting back into the swing of another week, we're both pooped and I know that I have so many things to think about this week. Andrew took the car, which is fine, but it leaves me feeling trapped!
This morning Lucy and I were playing in the office and we turned on the Beach Boys to dance. The song "Forever" came on and I pretty much fell apart. If you don't know it, here's the video.



This song sums up so much about how I feel about Lucy. She's taught me that parenthood doesn't last 18 years and it doesn't end when you're separated by life events or death. She and I are tied together for good. I'm sure fatherhood is awesome and amazing, but motherhood is surreal to me. Having carried her inside me for so long, there will always be a part of her inside me, and me in her, and that's just mystifying to me. I'm convinced that I'll always physically feel her pain and joy. That's scary and still fine with me. Sometimes I hate having her on the outside where I can't protect her like I once could. But I sure love getting to know her. She's still a stranger to me in a lot of ways, but it's so exciting watching her grow and learn. I'm really looking forward to learning who she is in her heart and seeing her accomplish so much. Can you tell I adore her? I can't wait to meet Ethel. I'll bet she's just as perfect.

2 comments:

Suzzy said...

oh, i'm all weepy now. sigh.

Jennifer Merkel said...

I know JUST what you mean...