09 January 2009

The Infected.

WHAT a day we've had. I woke up feeling incredibly down and I was wilting where I was planted. Who wants to start a payday like that?? Andrew asked if we could meet for lunch and I actually got grumpier! That's usually the highlight of our Fridays. Nina prescribed chocolate ice cream for breakfast and I called my doctor and Lucy's doctor and made appointments. I figured the only person I was going to listen to where Lucy was concerned was a degreed professional because it seems like I've totally lost my perspective otherwise.
So, we loaded up for a day out and got gas on the way out of town. We went to Lucy's pediatrician first and found out that she has an ear infection and Dr. M told me that she assumes that's 70% of the problem, 30% being that Lucy's just an obstinate toddler who wants what she wants. I asked her about Lucy's naps and about her wanting to co-sleep in the early mornings. Dr. M's response was, "If you're happy with the naps and you have to choose between 45 minutes of crying in her crib or 3 hours of peaceful sleep in your bed, I don't really see where you'd have trouble making that decision. As far as I'm concerned, she needs her sleep, you're lucky she's still napping so well and she can sleep hanging from a tree for all I care. As for her morning sleep...you do know that half the world co-sleeps, right? I support it and encourage it if that's what you find works for you right now." It was really nice to hear that she supported our routine as it already stands and that she feels that Lucy is doing so well. She said that as long as she's going down well at night and sleeping through that long, we're fine to deal with the early mornings in whatever way works best at the moment, since Lucy's getting older.
Once we left the pedi, Lucy passed out immediately. I called Andrew and we met at the mall. I put Lu in the stroller and she slept right through lunch and THEN she slept through a trip to Walmart. My trip to Walmart might have been my crowning glory today. I had budgeted $60 and made a list to stick to. I don't stick to lists, so I was really determined to prove Andrew wrong on this one. :-) I spent $59.13! Hooray! I got everything on my list and with a little creativity, I even got a couple things that WEREN'T on my list. I feel awesome about that.
Then it was time for my appointment. Lu was perfectly behaved through that one, too, as long as I let her use as much "yotion" as she wanted. Whatever. The girl appreciates hydration.
I have an infection of the head, apparently. They're not sure what, exactly, is so sick, but they're pretty sure some antibiotics will help. And, I learned a couple of things! Turns out my blood pressure is borderline "too low" and that taking Sudafed can actually lower your BP and that might be part of why I've been feeling so rotten. It's probably been low enough that it's making the bad feel even worse. Today it was about 112/65, which is not particularly good. It can also lead to dizziness and fainting, so that may explain the weird blackout episodes I've been having, as well. However, the staff was sure to mention that I look awesome and that Phoebe is a great name. I think I'm in love with my nurse's nurse. What a peach.
We stopped at the pharmacy on the way home and it turns out Lucy's prescriptions weren't called in before the office closed, so I had to use my outdoor voice to kick a few hineys into gear to get the pedi's office to make some calls. They're doing that now and Andrew will be picking up all of our meds on the way home. It's going to be an Amoxicillan Weekend! Tomorrow night Andrew and I are going out for a dinner meeting of sorts, so our drugged little chicken will be with the Lang's for awhile. I'm told she's going to visit Rocky and Taylor (two rambunctious and overly friendly Boxers) so she should have a good time.

No comments: