20 January 2009

January 20, 2009

Lucy's sleeping through the inauguration. She just doesn't dig the political scene, I guess...

I didn't vote for Obama, but today is a huge deal. My eyes are full of tears, because I'm incerdibly hormonal and because I'm an American. I don't agree with his politics, but it doesn't make this day any less special for him, for me and for our beloved country. 50 years ago a day like today wasn't possible. For the United States, today is akin to the emotion people may someday feel to see a woman running Iraq or Pakistan. Seeing this country elect a biracial President gives me hope that someday we might allow our citizens to live and that we might someday stop the genocide happening daily within the borders of our nation. We've come so far, but we have so far to go. Please join me today, and every day, in praying for our great country and for our new President. We have much to celebrate and still so much to ask of God.