07 January 2009

Laura, Party of 4? (Or, How I'm doing my part to never conceive a 3rd child.)

Well, we all know how glowy and gorgeous pregnant women are. Since getting sick, I've been trying even harder to make myself especially attractive to my husband. He insists that I'm glowing, which is so cute considering how gross pregnancy can be. How do I keep my man as happy as possible? Let me count the ways.
  • I'm perfecting my late-pregnancy waddle and am sure to groan when I have to move from a reclining position.
  • When we kiss, I frequently interrupt with, "Heartburn! Heartburn! Where are my Tums?"
  • I comment on the amount of hair on my belly almost daily. This helps him to understand the sacrifices I make for our family.
  • I allow him to complain about his weight and then remind him that I'm a mere 4 pounds from surpassing his all-time high.
  • I've perfected the ultimate head-cold cough and insert just enough wheeze to make it extra special.
  • Additionally, my intense head cold has given me an excuse to go to bed slathered in Vick's every night, and you know what that does for your love life. I'm just sharing all the details tonight, aren't I? After three years of marriage I'd be a fool not to recognize that "Ugh, you stink." actually means "How did I get so lucky?"
  • I'm growing what appears to be a gremlin and take special steps to make sure he has plenty of time to watch my belly wave about on top of Phoebe's spindly little limbs.
  • Raising a toddler has its perks, too! I often run out of Mommy-time to shower during the day, allowing myself to greet Andrew after work with just the right combination of frizzy hair and dirty clothes.
  • I send him sweet text messages throughout the day. Some would say this keeps things spicy. Recent texts would include spiciness such as, "Dude, do you know where the Tums are?" and "Cereal for dinner!"
Yes ladies, take it from me. Keeping a man happy is a full-time job, but it certainly can be done with a little extra effort.

Andrew really is being such a doll through this pregnancy. I can't IMAGINE having to sleep in a bed with a pregnant woman, let alone listen to the mouth-breathing and panting it takes to get through a simple task. He's such a saint and always nods enthusiastically when I ask, "Does this pregnancy look better on me than Lucy's?" There's a lot about pregnancy that people refuse to talk about and that couples endure silently. I don't endure much silently, but Andrew is truly a champ. He just pretends that pregnant Laura is just as sweet and fun as pre-pregnancy Laura, and I think that's why I feel so good most of the time.

I am sad that we haven't kissed on the lips since Saturday. :-( He finally let me kiss his chin this morning, since he's obviously sick now, too. That was nice. Hopefully by the weekend there will be more kissing and less hacking in Frostburg. In the meantime, it's almost time for bed. After our late night of Text Twist last night, I could really use a decent night of sleep!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not pregnant...
What's my excuse?

Jennifer Merkel said...

Wow, that is quite an eloquent way of describing the lase few weeks of pregnancy. Is that GLOWING or GROWING?